Cast Iron Retriever
A fine and important cast-iron retriever, seated on point, head to left, raised forepaw, with fallen woodcock below, upon a rectangular cast-iron base, American, attributed to Wood & Perot of Philadelphia, ca. 1860. 32.5 ins. high, 36.75 ins. long.
Wood & Perot was the second incarnation of the foundry established by Robert Wood in 1840. Originally named simply Robert Wood, the celebrated and innovative firm became Wood & Perot from 1858 to 1866, reflecting a partnership with Elliston Perot. After Perot’s departure in 1866, the company became Robert Wood & Co., and operated as such until 1879.